OPTIONAL SOUTH SHORE EXCURSION
Friday, August 23
For 2013 we are offering the first 50 people an exclusive opportunity to experience the magnificent South Shore. We will leave at 8am and travel along the beautiful south shore of Iceland to the charming village of Vik and back. Along the way, take in some of the southern coast’s most dramatic scenery. Mountains with a succession of waterfalls cascade from the glaciers above on one side and views of the North Atlantic coastline with its black sand beaches and dramatic headlands on the other. Our stops include:
- Eyjafjallajokull, the volcano that erupted in 2010.
- Seljalandsfoss, a narrow waterfall dropping 130 feet into a shallow pool with space to walk behind it.
- The tiny village of Skógar, a summer resort and home to one of Iceland’s finest folk museums; its old turf farmhouse provides a glimpse into the fishing and farming culture of past centuries. After, you stop at the town’s breathtaking Skogafoss waterfall, which drops nearly 200 feet into the river Skógaá, full of salmon and char, and, according to legend, hiding a gold treasure trove visible when the sun hits it the right way.
- Vík, Iceland’s most southerly village. This quaint town is tucked in between mountains, sea cliffs, and a long, beautiful black sand beach. We´ll have lunch here and visit their great woolen goods store.
- Reynisfjara black-sanded beach where the Atlantic ocean waves crash dramatically onto a beach with numerous basalt colums and interesting lava formations.
We will return to Reykjavik around 5pm and stop at the sport stadium where you can pick up your race package before we return you to your hotel.
Cost is $125.00 per person