EXPLORE NEW ZEALAND
Explore one of the world’s most dramatic landscapes - on bike! Visit an active geothermal area and soak in a thermally heated pool Visit a Maori village to experience an evening of ceremonial ritual, powerful cultural performance, storytelling & hangi feasting Learn about New Zealand’s violent geological past. Ride up an active volcano!
Visit the thermal heartland of New Zealand. It's an enticing combination of unusual, captivating landscapes; authentic encounters with Maori culture; indulgent thermal spa experiences; geysers, steaming craters and boiling mud pools.
Day 1 ROTORUA: We start the tour with a ride alongside the Hauraki Gulf with spectacular harbour and island views; whilst flanked by the imposing Hunua ranges. We’ll then complete our journey to Rotorua, the cultural heartland of New Zealand. Tonight we’ll visit a local Maori village for a meal and cultural performance entertainment. Ride: 60km (38 mi) Undulating, with one big climb
DAY 2 TONGARIRO: Established in 1887, Tongariro was the first national park in New Zealand and the fourth in the world. It is also a dual World Heritage area, a status which recognizes the park's important Maori cultural and spiritual associations as well as its outstanding volcanic features. We’ll ride to the famous Chateau and our accommodation for the night. For those after a tougher assignment – ride up the mountain to the ski field some 10 km’s up! Ride 60km (38 mi) Undulating, with one big climb.
DAY 3 LAKE TAUPO: The 160km Lake Taupo cycle Challenge is a annual charity event that attracts over 11,000 cyclists and, in 2006, was admitted to the prestigious UCI Golden Bike Series, gaining recognition as being one of the world’s top six rides. Today we’ll aim to complete half of the distance. Ride 80km (50 mi) Undulating.
DAY 4 THE MIGHTY WAIKATO: The Waikato River is New Zealand’s longest. It flows in a generally north east direction from Lake Taupo to the west coast just South of Auckland. Today we’ll trace it back to Auckland; firstly on bike and then later by minivan transfer. The riding route is 70km through interesting and changeable farmland and forests to the timber milling town of Tokoroa. Ride 70km (44mi) Undulating terrain.
Type of tour - Road
Trip Length - 4 days / 4 Nights
Riding Distance - 215 km (134 miles)
Daily Average - 65km (45 miles)
Terrain - Mostly undulating
Start City - Auckland
End City - Auckland
Included Activities - Maori cultural evening with Hangi feast
Meals included - 3 Breakfasts and 1 Evening meal
Trip Price - $1,799 (Twin Share) Single Supplement $479
Dates - Nov 8 - Nov 12
• Rides are between 60 and 80 km (30–50 miles) per day, or 2 to 4 hours in duration.
• Routes are typically on flat to undulating terrain, though each day we have interesting or challenging diversions en-route, which we’ll point out, or additional routes riding with the Cycle Turismo crew for those seeking a longer, more demanding ride
• We specifically use back-roads with low traffic flows, fewer intersections and other hazards
• Many of our customers are cycling beginners relishing the opportunity to ride without traffic rushing by, though most are enthusiasts looking for enjoyable, social rides in beautiful, new terrain.
• We offer small group tours (of 2 to 12 cyclists) to enable you to have a more personalized and interactive holiday experience.
• No panniers in sight – just great cycling.
• Cycling outfit (bib shorts and short sleeve cycling shirt) which is yours to keep.
• A brand new helmet to ensure your safety – also yours to keep after the tour.
• Water bottles (Brand new and yours to keep)
• Late model, highly spec’d road bike, with an odometer cycle computer. These are lightweight road bikes with carbon forks front and rear for comfort.
• Pedals. We supply SPD, Look Keo or flat pedals. We encourage you to bring your own pedals if your cycle shoes have clips, and we will attach these to the bike.
• Daily ride snacks and energy drink provided
ACCOMMODATION AND MEALS:
• 4 nights’ accommodation is included in the tour price. This includes a inner city hotel in Auckland at the end of the tour.
• Our accommodation partners provide luxurious yet affordable hotels.
• We will recommend some of the best restaurants in New Zealand. The dining charge is not included in the tour price.
• Breakfast is provided each day.